I only flew a few moments, but man that was sweet. Unfortunately the camera stopped recording so my follow up flight didn’t stick. I was also flying on the yard and at close to sundown so I didn’t feel like pushing it further.
Hopefully I will soon have a lot more videos to post.
Mounted the servo gimbal today 🙂
I have no idea what I’m doing so do not repeat this setup. At least until I have tested it and have some footage to show. I built this mostly because it was not so expensive relative the brushless alternatives but also so that I would get some training on both building and inevitably crashing a gimbal. If possible I’m thinking I should try to make it work using a budget camera first. Like my 808#16 or maybe a Mobius or some other gear in that pricerange. Tips are welcome!
Yes my thoughts where first to have it hanging under the tricopter but I wanted to try mounting it on top. It’s no biggie to change it later on if needed.
So here’s a video showing where I’m at. I have a long way before I can FPV on this…
Oh and on a sidenote, I ditched the (more) flimsy and sketchy looking front landing gears and made two more of the back model. They are not as forgiving but looks much better.
Today I made alot of progress and actually got to test my Tricopter out for the first time (video below).
Yesterday I finished attaching the servoarm to the tilt mechanism.
This is what I have done today:
– Finished attaching the tilting motor mount and servo.
– Mounted the KK2.0 foam box inside the Bat Bone and put the KK2.0 safely inside that.
– Built landing gears out of cheap plastic IKEA hangers and mounted them
– Attached the ESC:s to the arms using zip-ties
– Analyzed where the CG should be using some strings
– Attached the reciever and it’s antennas
– Connected the power distribution cables (this needs to be re-done, because it’s quite uggly)
And here is the test flight!
It’s all coming together! I had a little trouble there for a moment. Before flashing SimonK bs I couldn’t get my ESCs to fire up. I was probably doing something wrong but hey, I was going to flash the ESCs anyway. I use the KKflashtool on Linux with my 9X usbasp and the “HK atmel chip piggyback adapter tool”. Also showing in the beginning is my “FrankenCable” or HXT to JST adapter, connected to a “USBpower to header-pins “-cable fed with a 5V/1A poweradapter.
Tomorrow I hope to get some more stuff crossed off! Especially the servo for the motortilt… TBC…
So I finally got to sawing the sticks into arms. With my dremel the once forseen problem with using 14x14mm sticks instead of 12.8×12.8mm soon vanished. As you can see in the images below I carved it down on one side and it is a perfect fit, somewhere around 13x14mm. I also drilled the holes using the Dremel with workstation. I managed to put the two in the back arm in pretty much perfect center and aligned with the bat bone (not done yet in the picture). It seemed impossible at first, especially since I had moved my support bits that held the wood in place. Managed to align and with careful testing and tiny corrections I got it. I’m not even sure if I can replicate that ever again. So I hope they never break…
So here is the first picture of how large it will become once built. Even though there’s still much to do this milestone felt so good. 🙂
Yey! It can has propellers! Lolz!
My cat felt I needed her in the picture for size comparison. She is quite a sturdy cat though 😉